When many of us first downloaded World War Rising, we may have not fully been aware of what we were getting ourselves into. It’s a whole different world. We become part of new families, use math in ways we never thought possible (who knew the middle school math teacher was right!), and we learn that in order to win, we often have to spend despite not originally knowing about the cost of play.
While the idea of spending on a phone game can make some people scratch their heads, most of us understand at least the want after playing a little while. Unfortunately, almost everyone, yes, even the biggest spenders, are not able to spend like they would like to. Such is life.
There is good news, though! You CAN play without spending, or without spending much. Although it takes a little extra effort, I am going to show you how it can be done
Where Do I Start?
As discussed in a previous article, After the Tutorial- What to Do Now That You are on Your Own, “Learning how to properly play MMO Games is no small task. There are literally thousands of different details that go into building your base.”
One thing to consider: fighting is not the only way to play! Even though I disagree with myself on this, it is very true. World War Rising offers many ways to grow and play, making this game one that can attract all types of gamers. If you are unable to spend on the game at all, you may be a bit limited in options, but there are several activities to choose from.
You need to decide how involved you would like to be. This will matter a great deal on how much you are able to spend. You can refer to my article, What’s a Good Playstyle for You?, where I discuss the main different types of play styles that may interest you. Being able to spend a little will increase the options you have to choose from for your own playstyle.
Realize You Will Need Help
If you are not able to spend much, you will need the help of others. In WWR, this help comes in a variety of forms, but often from your Alliance family. Being part of an Alliance does many things, including but not limited to:
- Alliance Research– These are added boosts you get just for being a member!
- Alliance Helps– Every build and research you do has a timer. The helps decrease these timers for every member that hits the button. This can save a lot of speed-ups, therefore saving you money.
- Alliance Gifts– Every time an Alliance member makes a purchase, you receive a free gift.
- Alliance Event Prizes– Alliance events are events the Alliance completes together. No matter how much you participate in an Alliance event, you receive the same amount of prizes as everyone else. The more active the Alliance, the easier it is to complete and place in these events.
- Gifts from Alliance Members– Spenders purchase packs. Often the larger the Alliance, the more spenders will be within said Alliance. With Spenders comes the opportunity to obtain free gifts from the Bigs in your Alliance. The gifts are items that come in packs that the purchases can bestow upon anyone in the Alliance they choose. Over the course of time, this can include anything from Squad Skills to Dossiers or even Mercenary Troop Crates!
Finding your Alliance family as soon as possible is a very important step to more cost-effective growth.
Acquiring Items Through Events
If you are not purchasing packs or purchasing very few, you will have to devote time to your game. You need items to grow. In order to obtain those items, you will need to “grind events”. In other words, learn how to do events to achieve maximum prizes you are possibly able as often as you are able.
Events are useful to help you grow and stay on task. By looking at what it takes to complete an event, you will have an idea of what the game developers are expecting the majority of players to complete. This can give you a general idea of where your base may need to be and further ways to reduce cost.
There are several different types of events. A few are as follows:
- Special Events- Special Events are Events I think of as the Main Events that occur several times per week and often contain the “good” prizes. These events include Kill Events, Raid Boss Events, Garrison Events, and Synciate Outpost Events among others, and are most often a 24-hour event.
- Alliance Events- As stated above, these events are the ones you must be a member of an Alliance to complete. These events are typically several days long.
- Title Events- These events are won by collecting tokens. These events are especially helpful to complete. Not only do you receive prizes from this event, but the tokens you collected to win can be used to purchase items in the Black Market. These events run every four hours.
- Maintenance Events- Events like Manufacturing events, Research Events, and other tasks that you would do on a daily basis as part of regular game maintenance offer less glamorous but still extremely useful prizes. These are typically located on the bottom of the event list and are most often an hourly event.
In another article I wrote, I Couldn’t Resist… I’m Back!, I mentioned “Events are extremely helpful… For one thing, events give you an idea of where the game is currently by how you achieve tiers and what prizes are given for getting them.” Knowing ahead of time what you need to be working on can let you be sure to spend your newly acquired prizes frugally.
Grinding Events is the Most Crucial Aspect of Succeeding in F2P or Low Cost Play
Other Tips For Events
As stated in a previous article, A Beginner’s Guide to Events [I Want Stuff!], here are several other important hints to make your efforts go further:
- Wait to Level Heroes to Assist in Completing Raid Boss Events Whenever possible, wait to level up your heroes until raid boss events. When the Raid Boss appears, ‘Attack Once’ until you max your streak buff, then ‘Max Attack’. To replenish your stamina, raise your hero level by one. ‘Max Attack’ again if the raid boss has not died yet and your streak buff is still maxed. ‘Max Attacks’ offer more points when the stamina bar is full, so ‘Max Attack’ until the raid boss dies. Repeat as you are able. This tip also works on regular Syndicates.
- Save Tasks until They Can be Completed in an Event This has been mentioned a few times in this article. I am mentioning this again because it is an excellent way to grow your inventory and help you grow. This is especially useful for F2P players. If you do not buy packs, this is the most important way to obtain items you need to help things cost less.
- Check Events Before Doing Anything on your Base Sometimes even missions are needed to complete an event. Checking events would help you to know exactly what is required in your normal mundane tasks.
- Plan for Future Events After a while, you will begin to see a pattern with most events. Know what is coming and prepare accordingly.
Wait to do activities like Research, Build Troops, or Building Upgrades until there is an event available for prizes.
Region Boosts and Other Assistance
Oftentimes, events occur that are coupled along with a special region boost to help you along the way. These boosts can make a VAST difference in the time or amount of resources you will need to use to complete a task. Waiting for these events can allow you to build much more than you would ordinarily be able to.
You can also obtain items by farming. Sending troops to tiles can bring back resources needed to progress as well as materials needed to build gear to make your hero stronger, dossiers to grow research levels and increase your stats, Squad Skills, and more! In addition, you can obtain tokens that are good to achieve certain prizes in events, as mentioned above.
Title events are why many in World War Rising farm. Title events are usually won by collecting tokens. One troop merc farming can help you earn tokens to go towards the event. Timing tile return correctly has the potential of adding two extra loads of tokens during this event for even more goodies.
Be sure to check out the article, Farm Life is the Best Life for further Farming ideas.
The Black Market
The Black Market is where the fruits of your farming labors are spent. The tokens that were collected from tiles, events, and opened in crates, can be spent for a variety of items from Hero XP, to Avatars within the Black Market. Regular tile farming and event grinding allow for the collection of more tokens, therefore the chance to purchase even more items you may need for your base, once again the cost will be less overall.
More Pro Tips
- Wait for Alliance Helps whenever possible- While you may not always be able to wait because of time constraints during events, Alliance helps reduce time on builds and researches, and in the long run, reduce the cost of completion.
- Complete Economic Research First- This will help the cost of everything you do dramatically decrease.
- Always Have Missions Going in the Background- Be sure to start and collect missions every time you are able.
- Hit Syndicates Whenever you Log on Until you Deplete your Stamina- This will allow you to collect goodies on a regular basis without wasting stamina. You can also hit with missiles while you are on with a similar result. (Be sure to leave up whatever hero you will be using so that the stamina bar can regenerate. I recommend Ronen for younger timelines and Bruce for older timelines.)
- When a Blog Announces a Raid Boss or Syndicate Event, Cycle Through Your Heroes in Hero Gear to Replenish your Stamina Bar- This can help you have the potential for 11 full bars of stamina from all your heroes to begin a Raid Boss Event right off the bat!
- Be Sure to Complete Events that offer Lifetime Boosts- These permanent boosts can help you grow or can give stats that make your base stronger.
- Don’t Forget the Correct Hero, Hero Tree Setting, Gear, Banners, Enhancements, Serums, and Other Boosts to Reduce the Cost of Growth- All of these items reduce the cost to grow even further.
- If You Decide to Purchase a Pack at Any Point, Choose Carefully- If you don’t buy often, take your time when purchasing a pack. Do an inventory of your base and carefully identify what you may be lacking before buying. To see more tips, check out: A Guide to Pack Spending in WWR
I spoke with a good friend of mine, Boostcobra, about what it has been like for him to be a player that achieves most of his growth through grinding events. Here is what he had to say:
“Well, I’ve survived in WWR for over 2 years now with very very little money spent. At first, I was mostly a farmer just playing the game for no reason really, and then I started learning more and more about defense. I got some troops built up, and then I got zeroed. Well, that motivated me to become a trap. I spent $25, and within the next couple of days, only the big bases could burn me.
Eventually, I quit for a while.
I came back and had a burning F2P trap for about 2 months. Then, one RvR, I capped someone. They mailed me asking some questions about the game, so I helped them and got their Line ID. She was looking for a driver on one of her bases and asked if I wanted to try it out, so I said sure. I was her driver on an attacking base for about 2-3 months. She ended up giving me the base.
A month later I quit again for about 6-7 months. During those 6-7 months, zero money was spent on my base and it mostly sat shielded.
A lot of people think the key to WWR is how many packs are bought, but it’s not. My base is cc108 and currently has all heroes maxed besides Ember. Squads are maxed besides Molo and Mel (Molotov 247 & Melody 230), Research is nearly maxed for cc, and tons of other important things I won’t mention 😉
My base is built off events only in the past 9 months.
F2P is still possible 🙂 ”
-Boostcobra (Kilz) Region #547, Basalt Badlands
What Comes Next
Check out the following links for more information on topics you may have questions about involving game cost:
What actually is next?
Check out other things to do at the beginning of your game
Watch Chrishero100 and his Tips For Grinding Events
More F2P Tips by xAlyKat
Read Aly’s Article about F2P Style Playing
Other Ways to Save
Read these Articles for Further Tips:
The Right Family and the Right Growth
Keep a Sense of Humor
Know your Future:
Other Topics to Brush up On:
Some Key Areas to Learn About
No matter what is occurring, be sure safety is always first!
Although playing without paying can seem impossible at times, I hope this article makes the idea a bit less daunting!
Please remember that these suggestions are made in order to assist players in the process of playing WWR without spending or spending much money to lower overall cost and is NOT a guarantee that your exact desired outcome will happen.
I would like to thank the awesome player expert who assisted with this article on how to play without spending:
Boostcobra (Kilz) Region #547, Basalt Badlands