Over the course of the past year, I have been lucky enough to meet and speak with the majority of Alpha Control Point (ACP) Winners and their teams while interviewing them for our WWR Command Community Series, Alpha Commanders.
I’ve been fascinated by their encounters and have recently had my own ACP experience that was an incredible chance to see the event from the inside. From its conception to the actual win, I go to be a part of the process and truly witness the incredibly hard and dedicated work it takes to be the best.
There have been several continuous themes that every team seems to utilize to succeed in the ultimate battle, so I have compiled them here in this Essential ACP Guide.
Preparations for the Win
#1 – Find the Right Team
Having the right team is the most important part of winning any ACP event. There are several key player types that you MUST have in order to succeed, as well as many that are extremely helpful to assist in the experience:
- The Rally Lead – You Can not have an Alpha Commander without the Rally Lead/ACP Holder. Typically Rally Leads are the highest maxed account available to an ACP team. While this is not a hard rule, it is often much easier to achieve your goal if the stats and items available are the best.
- The War General – Another common fixture for every rally team is The War General. This is the person that plans the strategies. They are the geniuses that put together troop mixes on the fly and are prepared for every eventuality. The correct strategy is the key to an ACP team’s success. This person may or may not be the rally lead or have another roll on the team.
- Rally Fillers– The Rally Lead would be pretty lonely without the rest of the team. Rally Fillers are necessary at a minimum to contribute a powerful squad to the mix. In events such as this past event where the cost of troops is so high, Rally Fillers help even out the cost and decrease the amount needed by any one individual.
- Alliance Ambassador – Because of the cost of the troops needed in ACP, an alliance ambassador can be handy to recruit other members or teams to help your cause. It has become increasingly difficult to win an ACP title with one alliance alone. Although not impossible, an alliance capable of the sole responsibility is increasingly rare.
- Farmers/ Prep Players – These are dedicated players of any size that help to the best of their ability to bring the team to greatness. Gathering resources, testers, and other duties that may be needed are filled by these hard-working players.
- Eagle Eyes – Depending on the moment, these players can be some of the most important players on the team. These are the players who are extremely vigilant and pay close attention to details that are occurring during the event. Any troop changes, who is reinforcing who, a rally has been set, troop composition is correct, and Bob added squad to the rally type details. These players are crucial to make sure nothing is missed.
- People to Speed Marches– Sometimes, the smallest members in your alliance can be extremely helpful. Deployment speeds are rare for very active players. Smaller players don’t get to participate in as many battles, so they often have a stockpile of these boosts or a large amount of loyalty. From the Rally Page, they can assist by speeding in marches as quickly as possible in rallies.
- Counter Measures – These players are helpful to have around to distract the enemy by missiles, scouts, mail, or other various means they may have available to them through these seemingly nefarious activities.
- Token Contributors – If Raid bosses with tokens are available to boost stats for the ACP Rally Lead, these hard-working players are essential to a positive outcome. Especially in moments where either the offense or defense is close, these players can be the ones to make a difference.
- Garrison Holders – If Garrisons are available, it can be very helpful to have teams to capture any available that would offer the alliance boosts to make the ACP team even stronger.
Oftentimes these rolls can be overlapping amongst players. It is not uncommon for one player to fill several roles. Consider yourself lucky if your alliance has such a gem (or two)! Utilize the talents of each player to their strengths. KNOW YOUR TEAM! Making sure players are clear about what roles need to be filled can help your whole team get organized and have the tools you need to succeed without confusion or possible conflict.
#2 – Know What You Are Getting Into and Prepare Accordingly
While this is an extremely loaded statement, it is definitely a good idea to try and have some sort of clue about what type of ACP you will be competing for. During the interview for the Mayhem/Sefi win, Sefi players reminded me that oftentimes they would decide the day before or even the day of, to try and go for ACP. This time around was different. We knew there would be an increase of high tier troops based on what was available in packs and had to prepare for the eventuality that the CP could be filled with mostly t12 level mercenary troops. Adjust to the expectation of the event.
- Keep an eye out for what packs contain – This will give you an idea of what your enemy may have in their base or available to them.
- Watch Alliances for Player Changes – This may give you an early idea of teams that are pairing up with each other, or Players of clout your enemy may be adding to their arsenal.
- Missile and Scout the Enemy – This can give you an opportunity to see what cards your enemy may be holding.
- Observe as Many Control Point Troop Compositions As Possible Before the Event – This may allow you to see what the enemy may be working on or testing. It may also be a good opportunity to test your own strategies against those that you will be competing against.
#3 – Get Enough Sleep BEFORE the Event
While this may seem like common sense, as the event ticks down, you can often feel the pressure to do “one more thing” to get ready for the big event. If you did not prepare enough by now, one vehicle or one emblem is not going to decide the outcome. Guaranteed, however, you will miss a LOT of sleep.
It’s extremely important to stay as alert as possible during the event while the team is holding ACP. It would be a shame to end your event early over a simple mistake that could have been avoided had you been well-rested.
#4 – Practice Makes Perfect, or so They Say
It never hurts to practice.
Take the time to explain to your team the proper presets and techniques you will be using for the event. Communicate these desires openly and give your team the chance to ask any questions they may have.
Once the team is set, give them a chance to try out everything you will be using during the ACP battle. The more chances they are able to practice, the less likely they will make mistakes when it comes time for the big show.
Implementations to Use During the Battle
#5 – Make Sure You Have People Watching ACP at All Times
While it is ultimately the responsibility of the Rally Lead and or War General to be the most vigilant during an ACP event, it will be the title for the Rally Lead, after all, sometimes the Rally Lead may need a brief break. If this is the case, be sure to appoint someone, or several someones, very specifically to watch for you while you must step away for a moment.
Eagle Eyes on ACP is crucial. Spotting an enemy porting in as soon as it happens can help save seconds (an eternity in-game) by the quick spot that allows the team to prepare more efficiently, and definitely more quickly. Time is of the essence.
#6 – Stay Hydrated
This may sound like common sense once again, but making sure you stay hydrated and well-fed is important to staying alert and focused. The long night can be draining and the fuel is needed to keep you going.
Try to avoid sugary snacks or alcoholic beverages when possible, as you may crash when consuming these items.
#7 – Be Prepared For High Emotions
Depending on how your ACP event is unfolding, there may be some tension that appears if losses become a regular occurrence or if your team is lacking sleep.
Remember what brought you here as a team in the first place. Things don’t always go according to plan, and sometimes people have a more difficult time coping than others. Try to be patient and give that player some space so they have the opportunity to get back to themselves, the team member you love and cherish.
If the player becomes overly distracting or destructive, remove them from the situation and have a trusted r4 address them promptly if needed. The core team is trying to concentrate on what may be happening, and not being able to focus because someone is being excessive could result in expensive losses for the rest of the team.
#8 – Thank Your Team, Thank Your Opponents
Chances are, this will not be your only ACP event. The thrill of porting in to grab a spot, speeding your troops into the ACP, and fending off enemies or ejecting them from the Alpha Control Point is exhilarating. It’s an unbelievably fun time and one that your team will support you in again.
Show your appreciation.
It takes a team to win this event. If you want that same sacrifice from your team again, a pat on the back can help. While not everyone cares if they are thanked, many do and may have issues if you do not appear grateful. To save yourself and the rest of your team grief, thank everyone you can.
Sportsmanship can go a long way, even in a War Game. Without your opponents, the event would be worth nothing. There would be no excitement and no thrill of victory. Be sure to let your opponents know their value.
#9 – Allow Yourself Time to Celebrate and Then Recuperate
All of the hard work paid off! YOU HAVE DONE IT! You are now the brand new Alpha Commander! All of the hours of planning, the sweet talking, and the constant vigilance to prepare for the big day has finally paid off.
There is definitely a natural ‘after the event thrill’ you will feel when all of that work has paid off, and you have won. Allow yourself to enjoy it! While being humble is fantastic sportsmanship, take credit for what you have done, as well. Winning the toughest event in the game is something to be proud of, after all.
There is an extremely likely chance that you will crash when the event is over. You may have dealt with stress for days or even weeks while preparing that will compound the lack of sleep that you experienced over the course of the event. Not everyone is 21, so be sure to take care of yourself! Your team still needs you and there are congratulations to hear! Try to take off the following day if possible to catch on sleep. Be sure to eat extra healthy for the following few days as well.
#10 – Set Up Your WWR Command Interview!
While I personally feel this is arguably the MOST important point, be sure to get your team together for your interview! You have earned your 10 minutes of fame and we want to feature YOU in WWR Command for your astounding accomplishment!
Collecting Screenshots during the event including pictures of the action, battle reports, titles, or even funny chat moments will all be reviewed to feature in your unique article!
It’s time to celebrate you and your team! I look forward to your interview soon!
Player Experiences: ACP Favorite Moments
With as much fun as I have had during this event, I wanted to enjoy other player’s favorite moments in ACP as well. I’ve been fortunate to speak with so many ACP Commanders and teams. As much fun as I had myself, I began to wonder what specifically other players enjoyed the experience as well. Here is what they had to say:
“Prep- Our timeline had a few new releases the week before ACP. As the lead ACP base, I spent most of my time the week before leveling Talia up to 200, leveling up the vehicle hanger to lv20 so we could have 4 defending vehicles, and leveling up the master intel building.
During the event – ACP was very even between attack and defense. We had some epic back and forth battles with Unburnable. We could defend the first rally easily, a second rally close behind was at risk since we only had two squads with Talia defending. Unburnable wins with a solo as we were healing squads right of the second rally weakened us. We would speed out, heal, and counter solo the ACP before they could reinforce. This back and forth went on for several hours.
Best Battle- Our best defense was against Beernuts13. We capped a 2.08 million troop rally while only losing 260k.” – 5forfighting (BRWL) Region #491, Palladium Enclave
“The best part of ACP is when you try different mixes of troops over and over and then, boom! You hit the jackpot and win the rally. There’s no better feeling than cracking that code.” – xx Taco xx (Ink~) Region #, Etamine
“I’ll never forget the thrill of our Team not only winning it but also defending it from the previous ACP when my Teammate 1 EZ 1 had won it.
I had changed my base name to xX MASV Xx to pay tribute and honor my Great friend who had retired from the game. We had finally accomplished a long term goal…and we did it as a Team. Lots of alcohol was drunk in celebration both times.”
-WhoDatMF (PopT) Region # , Coal Region.
Winning the Alpha Control Point is the highest of game achievements, and one of these teams can certainly be proud of. Let’s take a look below at some more ACP related topics to help get you on your way to your own Commander Title!
Past ACP Winners
Be sure to read about previous ACP Adventures:
Where do I Start? What do I need to do to take the Control Point?
Brush Up On Control Point Strategies:
Other Avenues of Power
What other items do I need to conquer CP?
Team Work Makes the Dream Work
You need an amazing team to be Alpha Commander. What to look for in an Alliance:
Keep a Sense of Humor
Other Topics to Brush up On
No matter what is occurring, be sure safety is always first!
To summarize, this was truly the most enjoyable experience I have had thus far in the game! I really hope many more people have the opportunity to be part of such an amazing event. I look forward to hearing about your ACP experiences in the future!